Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Breathing..How important can that be?

The camera that was jammed up my face today.
The neti pot experience. Bizarre.

This pretty much defines how my face feels all day.


It was about 3 weeks ago when I started to realize some sever head and sinus congestion. After sniffing and sneezing for a few days I chalked it up to be a little cold. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Since breathing is really important and I really like the idea breathing, we figured it was super important to have this issue checked out. Before my doctor appointment I tried some suggested remedies off of the pregnancy sites such as a neti pot (wow, was this weird), steam, hot compress packs, Vicks, humidifiers, etc. After NONE of these natural remedies worked I resorted to good old fashioned antibiotics per the doc.

The first few days started to work and then the pressure came back with a vengeance! The antibiotics were pointless. The only thing that seems to give me some relief is this nasal spray that is SUPER addictive. It got so bad that the pressure built up behind my eye and actually tore my retina. Yup, you know I can't make that up. So today I saw an ENT (ear, nose, and throat doctor). He decided that I was SO bad, that he needed to look inside my sinuses with a huge camera. No numbing solution of course because I'm prego (see above pic). Yep that whole thing went into my face.

His verdict? Steroids. My verdict? No breathing. Sigh....

The tid-bit of information I found on dealing with rhinitis while pregnant said that the mucus membranes in the nasal passages of the sinuses often swell and become congested during pregnancy, probably due to the same hormones that cause your vaginal membranes to swell and become congested (fantastic...now my vagina won't breathe either??) Some women feel like they have a horrible cold the entire pregnancy.

Has anyone else dealt with this? HELP!!


3 comments:

  1. Rach~ my husband had to deal with lots of swelling when he crushed his face & had his sinuses re-built. He was a huge fan of the Nelli Med sinus rinse. Similar to a netti pot idea, but had a saline solution that was soothing. It's available OTC @ most pharmacies. Kit has a squeeze bottle, saline mix packs. I've seen that monster go up into the hubby's head at least 20 times. No numbing, and then they twirl it around to look everywhere. NOT fun times. Hope you get better!!!
    Christine (old school CFSD, now @ CFO w/Ad mamas)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit rach that's craziness :( I can't believe all these things going on, I'll see you tomorrow, maybe mazoball soup will help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steroids!? Dude, too bad you are preggers, bet it adds 20 pounds to your deadlift. Just kidding, my love! Sorry your sinuses are acting up. You sure look super cute, though!! I hate to be the one to ask but, are you back on the grains? Ima call you tomorrow! xo

    ReplyDelete